Put Your Students on the Right Path, Right From the Start
The TOEFL Primary tests are the first step on a student’s path to reaching his or her full potential. The tests measure students’ English communication skills and progress in English classes — and provide meaningful feedback about their abilities to both you and their parents.
The TOEFL Primary tests are designed to:
- Assess the general English-language proficiency of young students ages 8+
- Provide a snapshot of each student’s ability in listening, reading and speaking
- Support teaching and learning by giving information about students’ abilities in relation to a widely accepted international standard
Learn more about how you can use TOEFL Primary tests.
Different Test Components for Students at Different Levels
TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Test — Step 1
A paper-delivered test of reading and listening proficiencies designed for young students at the beginning stages of learning English
TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Test — Step 2
A paper-delivered test of reading and listening proficiencies designed for young students who have acquired some communicative English skills
TOEFL Primary Speaking Test
A computer-delivered test of speaking proficiency suitable for young students at various levels of English‐language proficiency
Learn more about the test content.
Preparing Your Students for Success
The TOEFL Primary program helps your students improve their English skills both before and after the test. Handbooks with sample questions help you, students and their parents know what to expect on the test. After test day, MetaMetrics® Lexile®reading measures linked to TOEFL Primary scores make it easier to select books at students’ reading levels and improve their English reading proficiency over time.
Learn more about preparing your students.
How Tests Are Administered
Both TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests offer institutional testing so that schools can administer the tests to their own students. They are scored by ETS Preferred Network offices and feature fast turnaround times.
The TOEFL Primary Speaking test is given during fixed administration periods and is scored at ETS by ETS-trained raters. Contact your ETS Preferred Network office or the TOEFL Primary program to learn more.
Understanding and Using Scores
The TOEFL Primary program offers certificates of achievement based on a student’s score level. It’s one way to provide students and parents with a sense of accomplishment. Plus, TOEFL Primary scores are mapped to Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) levels to give students the ability to see their level on a global scale and to give you a more in-depth understanding of your students’ English proficiencies.
How to Use TOEFL® Primary™ Tests
A Versatile Solution for English Programs
The TOEFL®Primary™ tests can be used to monitor student progress over time and, if appropriate, for placement.
They are designed for:
- English-language programs
- Local schools that teach English as part of the curriculum
Discover the Ways the TOEFL Primary Tests Can Help You
Detailed score reports provide meaningful score-level descriptors of what students can do and help assist students, teachers and parents set goals for understanding where future learning should focus. As a teacher, you can use the TOEFL Primarytests to:
- Guide your teaching goals
- Monitor student progress
- Identify students’ strengths and weaknesses
- Determine instructional plans
- Inform placement decisions, if appropriate
- Focus your work with both individual students and groups
- Shape your communication with parents about student learning
Learn more about the three tests: the TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening test — Step 1, the TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening test — Step 2, and the TOEFL Primary Speaking test.
Test Options for Students at Different Levels
Depending on school curricula and other factors, young students acquire their English abilities at different times and in different ways. The TOEFL®Primary™program offers three tests to measure a range of skills:
- the paper-delivered Reading and Listening test — Step 1
- the paper-delivered Reading and Listening test — Step 2
- the computer-delivered Speaking test
Each test provides reliable scores, and scores from all tests are mapped to Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) levels. TOEFL Primary Reading scores are also matched to MetaMetrics® Lexile® measures, making it easier to find the books and articles that best match students’ English reading levels.
TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests assess students’ knowledge, skills and abilities to fulfill core communication goals in English. They are offered at two levels of proficiency, Step 1 and Step 2, so that you can select an assessment that more closely matches the skills your students have acquired.
The TOEFL Primary Speaking test is designed for students at many different levels of English ability, from beginners through more proficient speakers.
TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Test — Step 1
The Reading and Listening test — Step 1 is intended for students in the earlier stages of English learning and covers:
- Familiar contexts (school, home, playground)
- Basic formulaic expressions
- Basic vocabulary and phrases related to common objects and people
- Short and simple requests and directions
- Short and simple text relevant to everyday experiences
The Reading and Listening test — Step 2 is intended for students who have acquired some communicative English skills and covers:
- Basic expressions, requests, phrases and directions
- Simple short stories and conversations on topics beyond everyday experiences
- Unfamiliar words given sufficient amount of contextual clues
- Simple content-based texts
For more information about TOEFL Primary click here
For reservation please click here