TERMS & CONDITIONS
• The “TOEFL® We Ocean Warriors Short Story Writing Competition” (hereafter known as “Competition”) is open to Malaysian students (hereafter known as “Participant”) from Standard 6 to Form 5 currently studying at schools that uses national curriculum
• Students studying at schools using international syllabus are not eligible to participate in the Competition
• Each Participant can only submit one (1) short story entry (hereafter known as “Submission”) for this Competition.
• The Submission must be written in English and submitted online through the official portal.
• Submissions must be in MS Word format. Other formats (PDF/JPG) will not be accepted.
• Submissions that do not meet the minimum word counts will be disqualified
• No written and/or hardcopy and/or image capture of the submissions will be accepted.
• Submission deadline is 31 August 2021 at 1.00pm.
• Submissions received after the deadline will be not be accepted and deemed ineligible.
• All Submissions received will not be returned.
• The Organisers will make every reasonable effort that the 50 best Submissions chosen will be published into a book.
• The Organisers will make every reasonable effort to notify the best 50 Participants to attend the prize-giving ceremony, which will be held on in October 2021, subject to further confirmation.
• The Organisers reserve the right to request to verify the government issued MyKid or Malaysian IC issued to the Participant as proof of name and age before the prize is presented or collected.
• Participants agrees to allow the Organizers and its advertising and promotional agencies to publish his/her name and/or photographs and/or winner’s participating photographs and/or essay or any parts thereof without further compensation and/or notice.
• Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Competition winners may nominate a representative to collect the prize on his/her behalf. The representative shall only be immediate family members of the winner and/or hostel warden/teacher and a written authorization from the winner will be required to be presented. However, the prize handover to the representative is subject to the Organisers’ absolute discretion.
• The Organisers reserve the right to substitute prizes that have an equal or greater monetary value than the prizes offered in the Competition.
• Prizes that remain unclaimed by the winners within 30 calendar days from the day of the prize-giving ceremony will be forfeited and thereafter, the Organisers shall have no obligation to substitute any alternative prize, cash equivalent or other compensation to the winners.
• The Organisers reserve the right to amend, terminate or add on to the terms and conditions at any time by placing a notice at the relevant website or any designated platform and/or area.
By submitting the short stories, the Participant covenants to the Organisers that:
• The Participant is the author of the submitted short story
• The Submission is the Participant’s original and unpublished short story
• The Participant has read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Competition;
• All the information provided and submitted at the official portal are true and accurate;
• The Participant agree to bear any consequences (including automatically be disqualified from participating in this Competition) in the event of the Participant’s breach of any covenants as set out hereof.
• The intellectual property rights of the Submission will be assigned to Eshia & Associates Sdn Bhd (hereafter known as the “Organisers”) and the Organisers reserve the right to reprint the Submission in any format without compensation.
• All proceeds from the selling of the book in any format and/or sponsorship derived from the Competition belongs entirely to the Organizers.
• In compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) 2010, the participants agree that the Organisers may collect and use the personal information that the participants have provided.
• The Organizers are indemnified against any actions taken and/or conducted by the Participant that may contravene the laws of Malaysia including any injury, loss, problem, damages or costs of any kind suffered resulting from participation in this Competition or in result of accepting or utilising the prizes awarded.
• The Submission is a fictional short story with “marine conservation” being the theme.
• The Submission must have a minimum word count of 800 words and maximum words count of 1000 words.
• Winning Submissions are expected to show originality and competent use of the English language.
• Only 50 best Submissions will be declared the winners.
• Plagiarized Submission will be disqualified.
• Judges’ decision is final and not subject to any appeal.
• No correspondence will be entertained.